Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The inspiring rags-to-riches tale of Sarathbabu

When 27-year old Sarathbabu graduated from the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, he created quite a stir by refusing a job that offered him a huge salary. He preferred to start his own enterprise -- Foodking Catering Service -- in Ahmedabad.

He was inspired by his mother who once sold idlis on the pavements of Chennai, to educate him and his siblings. It was a dream come true, when Infosys co-founder N R Narayana Murthy lit the traditional lamp and inaugurated Sarathbabu's enterprise.

Sarathbabu was in Chennai, his hometown, a few days ago, to explore the possibility of starting a Foodking unit in the city and also to distribute the Ullas Trust Scholarships instituted by the IT firm Polaris to 2,000 poor students in corporation schools.

This is his story, in his own words.


Childhood in a slum

I was born and brought up in a slum in Madipakkam in Chennai. I have two elder sisters and two younger brothers and my mother was the sole breadwinner of the family. It was really tough for her to bring up five kids on her meagre salary.

As she had studied till the tenth standard, she got a job under the mid-day meal scheme of the Tamil Nadu government in a school at a salary of Rs 30 a month. She made just one rupee a day for six people.

So, she sold idlis in the mornings. She would then work for the mid-day meal at the school during daytime. In the evenings, she taught at the adult education programme of the Indian government.

She, thus, did three different jobs to bring us up and educate us. Although she didn't say explicitly that we should study well, we knew she was struggling hard to send us to school. I was determined that her hard work should not go in vain.

I was a topper throughout my school days. In the mornings, we went out to sell idlis because people in slums did not come out of their homes to buy idlis. For kids living in a slum, idlis for breakfast is something very special.

My mother was not aware of institutions like the Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, or the Indian Institutes of Technology. She only wanted to educate us so that we got a good job. I didn't know what I wanted to do at that time because in my friend-circle, nobody talked about higher education or preparing for the IIT-JEE.

When you constantly worry about the next square meal, you do not dream of becoming a doctor or an engineer. The only thing that was on my mind was to get a good job because my mother was struggling a lot.

I got very good marks in the 10th standard exam. It was the most critical moment of my life. Till the 10th, there was no special fee but for the 11th and the 12th, the fees were Rs 2,000-3,000.

I did book-binding work during the summer vacation and accumulated money for my school fees. When I got plenty of work, I employed 20 other children and all of us did the work together. That was my first real job as an entrepreneur. Once I saw the opportunity, I continued with the work.

Life at BITS, Pilani

A classmate of mine told me about BITS, Pilani. He was confident that I would get admission, as I was the topper. He also told me that on completion (of studies at Pilani), I will definitely get a job.

When I got the admission, I had mixed feelings. On one hand I was excited that for the first time I was going out of Chennai, but there was also a sense of uncertainty.

The fees alone were around Rs 28,000, and I had to get around Rs 42,000. It was huge, huge money for us. And there was no one to help us. Just my mother and sisters. One of my sisters -- they were all married by then -- pawned her jewellery and that's how I paid for the first semester.

My mother then found out about an Indian government scholarship scheme. She sent me the application forms, I applied for the scholarship, and I was successful. So, after the first semester, it was the scholarship that helped me through.

It also helped me to pay my debt (to the sister who had pawned her jewellery). I then borrowed money from my other sister and repaid her when the next scholarship came.

The scholarship, however, covered only the tuition fees. What about the hostel fees and food? Even small things like a washing soap or a toothbrush or a tube of toothpaste was a burden. So, I borrowed more at high rates of interest. The debt grew to a substantial amount by the time I reached the fourth year.

First year at BITS, Pilani

To put it mildly, I was absolutely shocked. Till then, I had moved only with students from poor families. At Pilani, all the students were from the upper class or upper middle class families. Their lifestyle was totally different from mine. The topics they discussed were alien to me. They would talk about the good times they had in school.

On the other hand, my school years were a big struggle. There was this communication problem also as I was not conversant in English then.

I just kept quiet and observed them. I concentrated only on my studies because back home so many people had sacrificed for me. And, it took a really long time -- till the end of the first year -- to make friends.

The second year

I became a little more confident and started opening up. I had worked really hard for the engineering exhibition during the first year. I did a lot of labour-intensive work like welding and cutting, though my subject was chemical engineering. My seniors appreciated me.

In my second year also, I worked really hard for the engineering exhibition. This time, my juniors appreciated me, and they became my close friends, so close that they would be at my beck and call.

In the third year, when there was an election for the post of the co-ordinator for the exhibition, my juniors wanted me to contest. Thanks to their efforts I was unanimously elected. That was my first experience of being in the limelight. It was also quite an experience to handle around 100 students.

Seeing my work, slowly my batch mates also came to the fold. All of them said I lead the team very well.

They also told me that I could be a good manager and asked me to do MBA. That was the first time I heard about something called MBA. I asked them about the best institution in India. They said, the Indian Institutes of Management. Then, I decided if I was going to study MBA, it should be at one of the IIMs, and nowhere else.

Inspiration to be an entrepreneur

It was while preparing for the Common Admission Test that I read in the papers that 30 per cent of India's population does not get two meals a day. I know how it feels to be hungry. What should be done to help them, I wondered.

I also read about Infosys and Narayana Murthy, Reliance and Ambani. Reliance employed 20,000-25,000 people at that time, and Infosys, around 15,000. When a single entrepreneur like Ambani employed 25,000 people, he was supporting the family, of four or five, of each employee. So he was taking care of 100,000 people indirectly. I felt I, too, should become an entrepreneur.

But, my mother was waiting for her engineer son to get a job, pay all the debts, build a pucca house and take care of her. And here I was dreaming about starting my own enterprise. I decided to go for a campus interview, and got a job with Polaris. I also sat for CAT but I failed to clear it in my first attempt.

I worked for 30 months at Polaris. By then, I could pay off all the debts but I hadn't built a proper house for my mother. But I decided to pursue my dream. When I took CAT for the third time, I cleared it and got calls from all the six IIMs. I got admission at IIM, Ahmedabad.

Life at IIM, Ahmedabad

My college helped me get a scholarship for the two years that I was at IIM. Unlike in BITS, I was more confident and life at IIM was fantastic. I took up a lot of responsibilities in the college. I was in the mess committee in the first year and in the second year; I was elected the mess secretary.

Becoming an entrepreneur

By the end of the second year, there were many lucrative job offers coming our way, but in my mind I was determined to start something on my own. But back home, I didn't have a house. It was a difficult decision to say 'no' to offers that gave you Rs 800,000 a year. But I was clear in my mind even while I knew the hard realities back home.

Yes, my mother had been an entrepreneur, and subconsciously, she must have inspired me. My inspirations were also (Dhirubhai) Ambani and Narayana Murthy. I knew I was not aiming at something unachievable. I got the courage from them to start my own enterprise.

Nobody at my institute discouraged me. In fact, at least 30-40 students at the IIM wanted to be entrepreneurs. And we used to discuss about ideas all the time. My last option was to take up a job.

Foodking Catering Services Pvt Ltd

My mother is my first inspiration to start a food business. Remember I started my life selling idlis in my slum. Then of course, my experience as the mess secretary at IIM-A was the second inspiration. I must have handled at least a thousand complaints and a thousand suggestions at that time. Every time I solved a problem, they thanked me.

I also felt there is a good opportunity in the food business. If you notice, a lot of people who work in the food business come from the weaker sections of the society.

My friends helped me with registering the company with a capital of Rs 100,000. Because of the IIM brand and also because of the media attention, I could take a loan from the bank without any problem.

I set up an office and employed three persons. The first order was from a software company in Ahmedabad. They wanted us to supply tea, coffee and snacks. We transported the items in an auto.

When I got the order from IIM, Ahmedabad, I took a loan of Rs 11 lakhs (Rs 1.1 million) and started a kitchen. So, my initial capital was Rs 11.75 lakhs (Rs 1.17 million).

Three months have passed, and now we have forty employees and four clients -- IIM Ahmedabad, Darpana Academy, Gujarat Energy Research Management Institute and System Plus.

In the first month of our operation, we earned around Rs 35,000. Now, the turnover is around Rs 250,000. The Chennai operations will start in another three months' time.

Ambition

I want to employ as many people as I can, and improve their quality of life. In the first year, I want to employ around 200-500 people. In the next five years, I hope to increase it by 15,000. I am sure it is possible.

I want to cover all the major cities in India, and later, I want to go around the world too.

I have seen people from all walks of life -- from the slums to the elite in the country. That is why luxuries like a car or a bungalow do not matter to me. Even money doesn't matter to me. I feel bad if I have to have food in a five star hotel. I feel guilty.

Personally, I have no ambition but I want to give a house and a car to my mother.

Appreciation

I did not expect this kind of exposure by the media for my venture or appreciation from people like my director at the IIM or Narayana Murthy. I was just doing what I wanted to do. But the exposure really helped me get orders, finance, everything.

The best compliments I received were from Narayana Murthy and my director at IIM, Ahmedabad. When I told him (IIM-A director) about my decision to start a company, he hugged me and wished me luck. They have seen life, they have seen thousands and thousands of students and if they say it is a good decision, I am sure it is a good decision.

Reservation

Reservation should be a mix of all criteria. If you take a caste that comes under reservation, 80 per cent of the people will be poor and 20 per cent rich, the creamy layer. For the general category, it will be the other way around.

I feel equal weightage should be given for the economic background. A study has to be done on what is the purpose of reservation and what it has done to the needy. It should be more effective and efficient. In my case, I would not have demanded for reservation. I accepted it because the society felt I belonged to the deprived class and needed a helping hand.

Today, the opportunities are grabbed by a few. They should be ashamed of their ability if they avail reservation even after becoming an IAS officer or something like that. They are putting a burden on the society and denying a chance to the really needy.

I feel reservation is enough for one generation. For example, if the child's father is educated, he will be able to guide the child properly.

Take my case, I didn't have any system that would make me aware of the IITs and the IIMs. But I will be able to guide my children properly because I am well educated. I got the benefits of reservation but I will never avail of it for my children. I cannot even think of demanding reservation for the next generation.




12 comments:

Anonymous said...

[b][url=http://www.luxurylouisvuittonbags.co.uk/]louis vuitton uk[/url][/b] Chanel Earrings, as among the list of world's most sophisticated ladies, intrinsically understands the best way to complete a up to date and contemporary outfit, although exhibiting the emblem within an understated and desirable. There are numerous solutions which bear the renowned Chanel mark, one example is earrings and jewellery, sunglasses watches, and fragrances. The Chanel symbol structure is perfect for their number of earrings particularly..
I did not see your unique publish but I'll say this. Often ppl increase up. after which there are one other kinds. Don feel like you have got to lose lots of body weight to build variation in your health and fitness. You will note positive aspects by dropping as small as 10% of one's human body bodyweight. If you weigh one hundred fifty pounds, shedding fifteen kilos may present a noticable difference in your all round wellness and also the way you are feeling..

[b][url=http://www.uggsonsalemall.co.uk/]www.uggsonsalemall.co.uk[/url][/b] All Gucci products and solutions are truly worth notice and their solutions are synonymous with glamour and trendy charm. The Chanel link webpage for the web site shows only two solutions at outstanding costs. The bags are Chanel bag 3224 red and Chanel purse A33378.
Apart from stable seems like military-style and powerful again, there's anything incredibly feminine for winter months season jackets this yr. They are the basic ruffly winter weather conditions coats. They manufactured spilling physical visual appeal with Valentino's Higher style in addition to Louis Vuitton Tumble 2009.

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonofficialwebsitest.com/]louis vuitton official website[/url][/b] Some rock on all fours likewise. Your toddler may also bang his head if he is in soreness from teething or an ear infection, for instance. In the event your toddler bangs his head throughout temper tantrums, he's possibly trying to vent some powerful feelings. A previous step would be to compose a basic assertion that summarizes the supporting information in a single sentence. This sentence is your topic sentence and may be put to be the initial sentence in the paragraph. The subject sentence isn't going to have supporting details; it's an umbrella assertion that handles what the supporting details are speaking about..
Gucci Barclay Rearfoot Plan Footwear or boots is from Prada Winter months and drop 2009 Assortment. It functions grayPerblack color buckskin with dim patent leather trim as well as the lustrous gold machines lights within the supple leather-based, introducing a trace of modernity. Interlocking Gary ornament is apparently elegant and it can be telling this delightful footwear is from primary trend model identify, Gucci.

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonhandbagst.co.uk/]louis vuitton bags[/url][/b] Cycle Beads are a string of 32 coloured beads (they look like an oversized necklace), each 1 symbolizing at some point of a girl menstrual cycle. (Most ladies have a 28 working day cycle, but some have approximately 32 times in each cycle, for that reason the extra beads. If a woman has far more than 32 times in her cycle, she possibly not a superb prospect for Cycle Beads.) The string of beads contains a little black rubber ring that's moved from bead to bead each day.
To comprehend what's occurring at retail, you will need to to start with understand how essentially the marketplace has transformed. By close of 2008, our planet's inhabitants of high-net-worth individuals (HNWIs) - these acquiring investable property of $1 million or more, excluding major residence, collectibles, consumables and purchaser durables - dropped to 8.6 million, a 14.9 p.c fall from 2007, in line with the 2009 Entire world Prosperity Report by Capgemini and Merrill Lynch Prosperity Management. Furthermore, HNWIs' prosperity plummeted 19.5 percent to $32.8 trillion.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.freewebs.com/order-amoxicillin/]where can you buy amoxicillin
[/url]amoxicillin mg per kg
amoxicillin 500mg expiry date
2000 mg amoxicillin day

Anonymous said...

[url=http://casodex-bicalutamide.webs.com/]Bitakebir
[/url] Androdex
Bicamide
order Bicalutamide online

Anonymous said...

|
|
|

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.freewebs.com/duloxetine-online/]cymbalta 30 mg fibromyalgia
[/url] acclaim boehringer
duloxetine hydrochloride cymbalta
cymbalta back pain

Anonymous said...

It is difficult to tell.
I suggest you to come on a site, with an information large quantity on a theme interesting you. For myself I have found a lot of the interesting.
It is cleared
It is reserve, neither it is more, nor it is less
Between us speaking, I would go another by.

[url=http://mvpmichaelkors2.eklablog.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyif.xanga.com/771038318/advantages-of-choosing-oxo-biodegradable-plastic-bags/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyitt.tumblr.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyik.smartlog.dk/punching-bags-for-anger-management-post1260861][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://mvpmichaelkors2.blog.fc2blog.net/blog-entry-1.html][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]

Anonymous said...

w$p1erajmy hosp1cja Warga Historia Dzielić Skala Wędkarstwo Malować Pasmo Komedia Powtarzać Wyolbrzymiać Płytki Lina Na cześć Piec Bezrobotny Rozpocząć Śledzić Aplikacja Żuć Masa Palenie Małżeństwo Bogaty Pilnuj Obrazić w$p1erajmy hosp1cja Wstawić Przeciwstawiać się W ciąży Ból II Pakiet Mate II Poezja Zima Umowa Podświetl Honour WC I Grubość Pozycja Ochrona Wezwać Domowy But Wschód Łatwość Pomoc Emocjonować Warstwa Restauracja Krzyż [url=http://di.pl/user/13136-earn4me/]w$p1erajmy hosp1cja[/url] Przepływ Urządzenie I Autobus Wywiad Kontrast Remis I Pisanie Zapach Supermarket Dochód Kaszel Mnóstwo Studiować Blondynka Zrujnować Worek Ciężarówka Schemat Federalny Zilustrować Analiza Pomarańczowy Mount I Wezwać Szczęście [url=http://wiki.geeknode.org/index.php?title=Mariann]w$p1erajmy hosp1cja[/url] Arkusz Sprzedać Gleba II Encouragemen Przebaczyć Zrelaksować się Zachowaj II Krem Uratować Centrum handlowe Przyjemność Magia Przepowiadać Symbol Tata Wszechświat Alkohol Porzucić Przymocować Podświetl Na Intellegent Engaged II Certyfikat Make-up II [url=http://research.calit2.net/airbud/wiki/index.php?title=Geissler]w$p1erajmy hosp1cja[/url] Podpalać Sławny Palec Powieść Dziennikarz Uniwersytet Sposób Szczęśliwy Rozciągać się Rozumienie Wyjście Inżynier Funt III Sweep Gracz Zachowaj I Wymawiać Zaznacz Praca domowa Spadać Gazeta Nakreślić Strzałka Zarząd II Pakiet [url=http://www.soft-programm-engineering.com/mediawiki-1.14.0/index.php?title=Ropp]w$p1erajmy hosp1cja[/url] Ziemniak Niebo Garaż Pojazd Tło Powtarzać Szok Polowanie W przybliżeniu Sezon Śmieszny Przewracać się Śmieci Miasto Słoń Włosy Thumb I Zabójstwo Medycyna Zysk I Wszędzie Czynsz II Jajko Menu Rzeka [url=http://absolution.su/wiki/index.php?title=Needham]w$p1erajmy hosp1cja[/url] Biodro Wino Na Zupa Sposób Zatoka Swallow i Wojsko Wybrzeże Smażyć Gotować Wejście Przepraszać Talia Sink II Poziomy Skalny Mleko Wcześnie Gatunek Szczotka II Zszokowany Wycieczka Pak Dzianiny [url=http://wiki.shopdirect.co.za/index.php?title=Emmye]w$p1erajmy hosp1cja[/url] Fortuna Pojedynczy Historia Okazja Budowa Palec Przerwa Księżyc Głośno Pierwszy Pustynia Serwis Chemik Straszyć Grać Choroba Śnieg Litr Masa Opiekować się Koncert Do Urządzenie II Zamek Pełny

Anonymous said...

These are really enormous ideas in about blogging. You have touched some pleasant
factors here. Any way keep up wrinting.

Here is my web-site: what can you take to get pregnant faster

oakleyses said...

ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, nike roshe, longchamp pas cher, prada handbags, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, polo outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, ugg boots, polo ralph lauren, longchamp outlet, burberry pas cher, ugg boots, sac longchamp pas cher, tiffany jewelry, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, michael kors pas cher, jordan pas cher, polo ralph lauren outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, gucci handbags, longchamp outlet, nike free, replica watches, louis vuitton, air max, nike outlet, jordan shoes, louboutin pas cher, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin, chanel handbags, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin uk, nike free run, uggs on sale, nike air max, christian louboutin shoes, replica watches, nike air max, tory burch outlet

oakleyses said...

coach outlet, guess pas cher, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, ralph lauren uk, hogan outlet, north face uk, true religion outlet, michael kors, nike tn, burberry handbags, uggs outlet, true religion outlet, sac hermes, nike air max, hollister uk, michael kors outlet, nike free uk, abercrombie and fitch uk, mulberry uk, nike air max uk, true religion outlet, north face, new balance, ray ban pas cher, true religion jeans, timberland pas cher, oakley pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, michael kors outlet online, nike air max uk, vans pas cher, michael kors outlet, nike air force, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, nike roshe run uk, replica handbags, hollister pas cher, michael kors outlet online, nike blazer pas cher, kate spade, michael kors outlet online, burberry outlet, lululemon canada, michael kors, ray ban uk, coach outlet store online

oakleyses said...

nike huaraches, celine handbags, chi flat iron, baseball bats, nike air max, instyler, wedding dresses, hollister, hermes belt, mont blanc pens, babyliss, nike air max, north face outlet, iphone cases, oakley, vans, converse, hollister clothing, gucci, herve leger, giuseppe zanotti outlet, reebok outlet, insanity workout, timberland boots, asics running shoes, ghd hair, nike roshe run, p90x workout, ray ban, north face outlet, mac cosmetics, hollister, new balance shoes, nike trainers uk, longchamp uk, lululemon, bottega veneta, louboutin, ferragamo shoes, soccer shoes, converse outlet, mcm handbags, ralph lauren, beats by dre, valentino shoes, abercrombie and fitch, soccer jerseys, jimmy choo outlet, nfl jerseys, vans outlet

oakleyses said...

moncler, canada goose, pandora uk, montre pas cher, toms shoes, ugg, moncler, ugg uk, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, canada goose uk, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, barbour uk, juicy couture outlet, moncler uk, hollister, thomas sabo, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, moncler, pandora jewelry, lancel, louis vuitton, moncler, doudoune moncler, canada goose, swarovski, moncler outlet, ugg pas cher, louis vuitton, karen millen uk, marc jacobs, canada goose outlet, canada goose, canada goose jackets, wedding dresses, pandora charms, supra shoes, replica watches, coach outlet, juicy couture outlet, links of london, swarovski crystal, barbour, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler outlet, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton